Previous   (1 of 13)   Next

Land for sale - Cape Girardeau

898 Elmwood Lane, Cape Girardeau

MLS #20011732

$5,500,000

Estimated monthly payment: $22,294   Customize
(Assuming 20% down, 4.5% interest, 30-year fixed mortgage)

Through the year’s Elmwood was first known as the “Giboney Place”, after the original family that owned it since they laid claim in 1797. Alexander and Rebecca Giboney traveled from West Loudon County, unclaimed territory now known as West Virginia. They moved down the Ohio River and crossed the Mississippi River at Cairo, landing above New Madrid at Byrd’s Point.

Alexander’s brother-in-law, Andrew Ramsey, established in the new territory in 1795, just after Lorimer settled here in 1793. The Giboney’s built and lived in a log house later covering it with wood siding. Mr. Giboney died in 1804, and his wife, Rebecca Ramsey Giboney continued managing the plantation, originally 400 Arpens (340 Acres), until her death in 1839.

Andrew’s only surviving child, Mary Hunter Giboney, returned home from the private Mrs. Willards School in New York, at the end of the civil war, and began active management of all matters regarding the plantation. Andrew Giboney began building the large brick manor house in the late 1860’s, and the first part was completed before his daughter Mary married Louis Houck on Christmas Day in 1872 in the family home. They continued living with her father until his death in 1875. At that time she inherited all of Andrew Giboney’s properties and possessions, which made her one of the wealthiest women in the area.

As time passed by, the plantation became known as the “Houck Place,” which he later renamed Elmwood in the early 1890’s. The large brick manor house has been added onto several times, each with many modern improvements for the time, until it reached its present size of over 8400 sq. ft., featuring 20 rooms. Other than adding a few modern upgrades, the house remains virtually unchanged since the last addition of the ballroom with an additional four bedrooms on the second floor, and the large tower over the main entryway in 1892. Mary Frissell Evans inherited the home and land in 1961 from the estate of her mother Rebecca Ramsey Houck, and her uncle Giboney Houck

The remaining 68 acres with the manor house is one of just a few properties that is still owned, lived in, and farmed by direct family descendants in the state and possibly the country.

Facts

  • Status: Active
  • School district: Cape Girardeau
  • Bedrooms: 8
  • Bathrooms: 6
  • Includes approx. 68.0000 acres
  • Brick, stone exterior
  • Cooling: Central air
  • Water system: Well
  • Sewer system: Septic

Notices

  • This listing provided courtesy of the Mid America Regional Information Systems Internet Data Exchange. © 2020 MARIS. This website does not display the entire MARIS IDX database. Property listings of some REALTOR® brokerage firms have been excluded.
  • This property has been viewed 1,444 times.
  • This listing was last updated March 3, 2020.
  • All information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed.